Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tara remembers Santa

As you can tell from mom's answer, Santa is still real for the Griersons, and I am pretty sure we will continue to leave him cookies and milk and refer to "presents from Santa" forever.
However...
I remember being suspicious of Santa for as long as I can remember. But one Christmas in the Missouri house, we had gotten some display shelves from our next door neighbor and on Christmas morning we found that Santa had put little presents in each of the little cubbies. Either Spencer or I were reading off the names ("To Tara, from Santa") on each of the wee presents and at one point Dad said, "I don't remember writing on all of those." I looked wide-eyed at my Dad, surprised at his carelessness with the ruse they had protected for years. I don't remember being surprised that Santa wasn't real, I already suspected. But they weren't allowed to admit it! And thus, we still will not acknowledge that he doesn't exist. 

No comments: