Sunday, January 15, 2012

Holly's sounds and Christopher

There are two sounds from my childhood that bring me right back to my childhood when I hear them today.  The first is the sound of airplanes flying overhead.  We used to sleep with our window open during the summer since there was no other way to cool the house back then, and we would wake up to a nice breeze coming in the window and the sound of the airplanes at the Air Force Academy.  There are still times when I hear an airplane and I suddenly feel like I'm a kid again, ready to get up and go outside to play.  The other sound is the call of the meadowlark.  I didn't know that I missed that sound until I moved to an apartment in West Jordan that was right at the edge of a huge meadow, and there were always lots of meadowlarks singing.  It made me homesick for Colorado!  Before the houses were built behind our house on Rusty Hinge, we had tons of meadowlarks, and we would hear them all the way to school on our walk through the field.  Still one of the prettiest bird calls I know of!
For those of you who don't keep up on Facebook, which is where I frequently post my updates because it's fast and easy for me and I can instantly reach 400 people, Christopher is in the hospital again.  I took him to the ER on Wednesday night because he just wasn't eating enough for me.  I thought they were going to teach me how to place an NG tube and send us home, but the cardiologist wanted to look him over and make sure the feeding issue wasn't masking something more serious.  His heart tests were all fine, so they have been working for the past couple of days on making sure he gets enough calories per day to grow enough.  His weight was up yesterday, but down today because he threw up one of his feedings yesterday.  Today they have stopped bottle feeding him and are just continuously pumping food in through the NG tube with the thought that maybe he throws up because he's getting too much food in his stomach at once.  Well, eh threw up again just after Matt and I left this afternoon, so that idea is out the window.  We will have to wait until the doctors discuss his case to see what their next idea is.  This has been somewhat good timing, because as soon as I got him to the ER on Wednesday I felt a sore throat coming on, and by Thursday morning I was downright sick.  It's good for him to not be here and be constantly exposed to my germs.  It would be really bad if he were to get sick right now.  He did get his RSV vaccine yesterday, so that makes me feel better.  They will keep him for at least a few more days to get this figured out, and he should be home again soon.
Thanks for the question, Mom!  Let's get everyone blogging again! 

No comments: