Monday, November 9, 2009

Jeny's Most Useful Class

Maybe I'm not answering this the way you want, but my most memorable/useful class was Greek History in junior high at West Jordan Junior High. Not because the class itself taught me anything super useful, but the teacher certainly did. He taught me that sometimes you just need to stop and help someone out, even if it seems like a silly little thing they could do on their own. Sometimes those perceived little helps make a big difference. I think I've mentioned the story before of this teacher taking a broken necklace from me during a test and fixing it for me. He told me to concentrate on the test and he would do what he could with the necklace. I'm sure he had better things to do. He showed me that day that my success in his class was important to him, therefore I was important to him. In a time when I thought nobody cared and I was a big nobody, he made me feel like I was somebody. It's a stupid little thing, I know, but it really had a huge impact on me. You just never know when a stupid little thing you do is going to have a huge impact and help someone. You can never help others out too much. If it's a hard thing for you to do, just try smiling at someone that looks upset. Making them smile will brighten their day just a little bit, so start there.
The end of my lecture. Now imagine me smiling at you.

No comments: