Monday, December 22, 2008

Amy's Catch Up...

I have been trying to finish a quilt and have not been able to devote much time to the computer lately. So I have lots of catching up to do. The oldest person I remember was either Delos or Eugene, Dad's uncles. I remember going to visit one of them in a nursing home once but I don't remember which one it was. Do you remember, Dad? I don't know how Mindy can remember Grandma Margie necause I don't at all.
I am with all of you on how the world has changed. It is becoming so uncomfortable to be in the world I don't know how anyone can stand it without having a lifeline such as we have in the Gospel. I come across so few religious people these days, even here in Kentucky. I think the music has changed dramatically. I used to say, as we all do I think, that I would always keep up on the latest trends in music and be a "cool" parent. But the music these days is so blah and boring or really crude. I have to look up the lyrics to any song Alex wants to listen to because there is so much trash out there that he sometimes doesn't recognize. Parents are more afraid of their kids these days. I think it is definitely hotter in the summer, maybe that's because of where I live. I remember thinking gas was cheap if it was under $1/gallon. And I don't remember cars being as important a status symbol as they are now. I mean, I know they were, but I think it has gotten worse. The only thing that I know for sure has changed for the better since I was a kid is me!
I have 2 "weddings" under my belt and still no honeymoon. Not even wedding pictures. We have talked about maybe taking some sort of vacation, just the two of us, but I don't know if it will ever happen. By the time we have all our kids raised Payne will be almost 70. Maybe when Alex is old enough to be left in charge for a few days, we'll see. But I am all about the small wedding and just a night in a hotel. I think paying a lot for a huge wedding is really stupid. What a waste for one day!

1 comment:

Barry Lauritzen said...

The one we visited in a nursing home would have to have been Uncle Delos in Elko. We stopped there once on one of our many trips from California to Utah. Uncle Eugene never lived in a nursing home. He lived at home until he got an inoperable aneurism. He -- and all the rest of the family -- knew that his hours were numbered. I remember specifically asking him to give my father a hug when he got on the other side and to tell him how much I loved him. Wish I could have done it myself. He died about three hours later.