Monday, December 8, 2008

How the World has Changed for Teresa

I don't really know if the "world" has actually changed in 24 years. I know my views on the world have changed as I have transitioned into adulthood and now have my own kids. My biggest shock factor since becoming an adult is not being tied to the military. Most of my memories are living on an air force base or in an air force community. We were always allowed to go outside and play by ourselves and pretty much go wherever we wanted (as long as we told mom first). We never worried about bad people trying to pick us up, social inappropriateness, or any kind of danger. But like I said, that's probably because we lived on base. I won't let my kids play outside alone cause it scares me to death. Granted, we don't live in the best neighborhood. I remember we were aloud to say the pledge of allegiance in class and when something bad happened, we bowed our heads in silent prayer, not a moment of silence. Religion wasn't taboo when I was a kid. TV is the biggest difference I think. I remember people talking about sesame street being inappropriate for kids, but sexy beer and tobacco commercials were not, and it's just gotten worse. On the bright side, gas is cheaper now than it has been since I started driving! That's awesome :) We didn't have internet when I was a kid. That's a pretty big one I almost missed. My kids love the internet. Derek loves the Gabba Gabba and Cars movie sites. He plays the games and watches little video clips. Internet is very cool. I have noticed (this may be just lliving in the south) that people just dont go outside... at all. The adults stay inside, therefore the kids stay inside. I dont think I could have dealt with that. I really liked being outside. (Not to camp or anything though, I never have liked sleeping with bugs). I guess alot has changed since I was little, but when you're a kid, your view on the world is a little convoluted, so I can't really say for sure.

5 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

How could I forget internet and cell phones! Of course! Zack Morris carried a cell phone and it was a big, clunky thing. Also, we got our first computer, the Commodor 64, when I was 7 or 8.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you can say that gas is cheaper than when you started driving. I must be old, and Dad must be ancient! I remember wanting Mark to take a picture of me beside the gas station sign in Mo when gas was 67 cents/gal

Barry Lauritzen said...

And, I honestly remember when gas was only 25 cents/gal. That's how much the world has changed for me. I think all of you have heard me tell about the deep philosophical discussion that I had with my two best friends about a month prior to our graduation in 1958. We allowed that if any of us ever got to the point where we were making $10,000 a year, we would be ultra-rich. Now, that is truly a reflection of the change in the times.

Teresa said...

Is the commodor the one my family inherited? I thought it was a little weird that gas is cheaper...

Lori said...

How funny! I remember taking a trip to Utah from California as a kid, and Dad stopping for gas in Reno (I think that's where it was) and then going on for half-an-hour about having to spend $ .50 per gallon, "It's highway robbery! They just know they can get that much because we're in the middle of nowhere!" Wow! Time changes perspective too, does it not?