Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Holly's First Memories and Moment

My earliest memories are like Heidi's. I remember the West Jordan house, even though we were only 2 1/2 when we moved. I remember the shag carpets, the red couch downstairs, the raspberries, and the plum tree. I also remember putting on a sheet and standing on top of the TV with Heidi and holding a little yellow flashlight when we were angels in the Christmas pageant. I have a vague memory of pulling up to the house on Rusty Hinge for the first time. I think it was night time and there was a light on somewhere in the house.

I certainly have a most embarrassing moment. When I was in the Colorado Springs String Orchestra (I was in 7th or 8th grade) I frequently didn't listen when the conductor was talking. One day I heard everyone start clapping, so I asked my neighbor what the conductor had said. She told me that that at our next concert we were allowed to wear red and green (it was near Christmas). I was thrilled with the idea, as I hated wearing the white blouse and black skirt. That day I wore my green pants (yes, I had green pants), a red shirt, and a white sweater. Before we left, Mom said, "Are you sure you're allowed to wear that?" I told her that I was sure, so she trusted me and took me to the concert at a local high school. As soon as I walked in I was horrified. Everyone was wearing the normal black and white. Apparently the announcement was that we could wear red and green ACCESSORIES on top of our black and white. We were too far from home for me to go change, so I went and talked to the director. She said she would just hide me in the back. Well, she didn't. I sat right in the middle of the whole orchestra. I felt sick that entire day as a result, and I missed my class field trip to go see "Dances with Wolves" because I was at that concert. It was a terrible day. I have other stories, but this is the worst.

No comments: