Friday, May 15, 2009

Dad's Makeup First

So, I imagine you will all think it strange to have Grandpa be among the first to respond to this question, but I assure you the experience was extremely traumatic to me, as follows.

When I was four years old, my father was in Europe as a soldier in WWII. My mother, sister Lynne and I lived with my Aunt Rita Miller in Pocatello, ID. Both of my mother's sisters lived in Pocatello and both had sons about my age. Bill is Rita's son and Stephen is Adrienne's son. Bill now lives in Post Falls, ID, and Stephen is an attorney in Boston.

Our mothers had enrolled all three of us in a tap dancing class. I remember very little about that class.

BUT, the teacher was apparently very popular and had huge classes in all kinds of dance. Enough that she produced a huge dance review in one of the local theaters on the west side of Pocatello every year.

I remember kinda looking forward to that dance review, until my mother told me that I had to wear lipstick! I was mortified. I can remember running away from Mom and Rita on the night of the review, and locking myself in the bathroom.

It took a lot of persuasion and even threats, but I finally relented. That is one of those childhood memories that is still vivid. I remember how disgusted I was as my mother applied that lipstick.

But, I guess I survived. I don't even remember much about the dance review itself. I think we got out of the dance lesson business immediately thereafter. Could it be that my reluctance to wear lipstick had anything to do with that? I wonder.

Grandpa

6 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

That definately sounds like an episode of Leave it to Beaver. I can hear Lynne saying, "Gee, Barry, the guys are sure going to give you the business".

Unknown said...

haha! Heidi! you crack me up! Have you got any pictures (colorized, of course) of this event?

Barry Lauritzen said...

Somewhere I have a picture of the entire dance company (probably 150 kids) on the theater stage. I don't know if I could find it. And, it is NOT colorized.

mindy said...

I've never heard that story before! That's so funny!

Tricia Lauritzen said...

I bet with today's technology we could add the lipstick color to the photo. You've gotta find it! Also.. Heidi, you totally had me hearing the voices of Leave it to Beaver.. AWESOME. :)

Amy said...

definitely!