Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dad's Activities

One of the great advantages of being a "big frog in a small pond", i.e Mullan High School, was that I was able to participate in almost anything that I wanted.
I played the sousaphone in the band and marching band (they were the same band) for three years. I sang in choir for four years. I had a role in every play put on by the school during those four years (I believe there were two each year). (Note: Due to a lack of talent depth, we did not do any musicals.) I played piano in the school dance band, and sang in the barbershop quartet.
I played basketball all four years, and football in my freshman year until I blew out my left knee. That knee still bothers me to this day.
I was the baseball team manager, and threw the shot-put and discus in track.
I was Freshman Class president, Student Body president my senior year, Boy's State representative (held in Pocatello), and participated in other student government activities.
Oh, yes! I also attended classes.
My high school experience was one that I remember almost entirely with great fondness. Of course, there were the teen-age problems that we all have to endure, but they were few compared to the good things we enjoyed in Mullan.
And, I knew every single student in the school. Not hard with only 149 students in four grades.
Grandpa Lauritzen

No comments: