Friday, August 15, 2008

Mindy's Activites

I've always loved to swim, so my freshman year I tried out for the swim team. Problem was, I couldn't dive. It wasn't for lack of trying. I'd had several swim teachers try to teach me, but for some reason I'm not coordinated enough to make my body do what I envision it needs to do in order to dive in without belly flopping or getting a nose full of water. Because of this, I was one of only two girls cut from the swim team. Jeny was there to witness my humiliation. She was visiting and happened to be there when I was cut. I was embarassed, but glad for a shoulder to cry on at the time.
Of course there were always the plays and Ramantics, band and choir, solo and ensemble. I also participated in the drama club. We never did anything but fill balloon orders. That funded the drama club scholarship that was handed out every Spring, usually to the person who fulled the most balloons. I think that's about it. Nothing really exciting.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I can't dive either! Never have been able to. I think it must be a plot against tall girls! I always got my nose full of water.

Unknown said...

to the person who filled the most balloons - funny!

Barry Lauritzen said...

Such humility! I don't think there has been another musical presented at Rampart High where the audience stopped the performance with a standing ovation like they did after Mindy's performance of Bali Hai from South Pacific. She was terrific.