Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jeny's Neigborhood Excitement

Everyone already knows my story, but I’m going to retell it anyway. We had lived in our house in Mo. for about a week. I was in the basement quilting when I heard a knock on the door. I went upstairs and there was nobody there – but then I heard the knock again coming from the door to the garage. I was a bit suspicious, so I put my foot in front of the door before I opened it a little bit. There was a young – maybe 18 – black man with one shoe on in the garage. I lived in St. Louis, pretty southern-ish, and there were no black people in my neighborhood or anywhere near. He asked if he could come in to use the phone and call his mother because he had been chased by a dog and was scared to go out on the street again. I told him I would call her for him, but he couldn’t come into the house. I got the number, closed and locked the door, then went around and locked the other 2 doors. I called his mother (foster parent) and did not know how to tell her to get to my house, so I went out into the garage with my back to the street and tried to get directions from the young man. As I was talking to her, I had to stop a few times because of the noisy garbage truck driving up and down my street. When I finished, I went inside and noticed a helicopter hovering above the house across the street. It finally hit me that this must have been the sound I heard and mistook for a garbage truck, and when it turned sideways I saw it was a police helicopter. I called 911 immediately, told them about the young man, and the operator told me I must be mistaken because there were no police helicopters in the air. Almost as soon as he said that, about 7 police cars screeched up to my house and some of the officers were pointing guns into my garage. Super Scary! Turns out he had stolen a car and crashed it, and the police dogs were out looking for him so he wasn’t telling me a lie. He was very polite and I was sorry he was stupid. The neighbors all came out of their houses to see what was happening, so it turned out to be a great way for me to meet all the new neighbors!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

This is probably the best story I've heard. "sorry he was stupid"... that's classic