Friday, June 6, 2008

Kristi's Neigborhood Experience

Oh how many things could we write about our neighborhood in Provo! The neighbors boys that ran over to the church to hide from the S.W.A.T. team, the narcotics bust across the street that led to policemen with machine guns in my front yard, the drug addict who stood up in fast and testimony meeting and told us he had seen God and Cain and other unmentionables, and lest we forget…Rose. Those of you who knew her are laughing right now (and nodding, or shaking your head, or both =)

I guess, though, that if you ask what my most memorable childhood neighborhood memories are, I would choose the two that come to my mind the most readily. One was a very happy day and one a little more traumatic; both, however, in West Jordan. I remember the day that Mom and Dad came home from the doctor, x-rays in hand and announced that we were having twins! Lori and I ran around the neighborhood and knocked on the door of every neighbor to share the good news. I’m sure they thought we were crazy because we were so excited we could hardly speak! But we had to get the news around to as many people as we could. The other memory I don’t have very many details. I recall more of the feelings. It is of the time we found out Sister Hardcastle had cancer. We lived in a cul-de-sac and everyone seemed to me to be pretty closely knit. I still remember the feeling I had when I heard the news. As I write this I’m not even sure when it was that it happened. It may have even been after we left. If it was It must have felt like we still lived there. It was hard to leave that neighborhood. Perhaps that was the real trauma!

PS I also remember the days (or weeks) of mourning Sheila Sessions went through when Elvis died. I thought she was crazy!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Swat team in your yard? That sounds cool. Some people are just knuckleheads!