Friday, May 23, 2008

Amy's Jobs

My first jobs were, of course, babysitting like everyone else. But I was a terrible babysitter! I always ate whatever I could find, to the point where someone put notes on all the food she didn't want me to eat. I usually spent most of the time on the phone and ignored the kids. When I lived in Heyburn with Kristi I got a job cleaning a lady's house. I also worked for a time in the mall with Jeny selling styrene airplanes. Right out of High School I worked at Lane Bryant - I got a good discount and first look at all the clothes. Then I decided to be a nanny and that was a total bomb. I did it for all the wrong reasons and only lasted 5 days. But it was my first trip to the east coast. When I got home I got a job at the dry-cleaners across from the mall and was there about a month before I started working as a waitress at Shoney's. The money was good but I hated the job and the uniform. I went from there to Mr. Steak and then to college in Rexburg. While going to school I worked for a marketing research company on the phones. We did't sell things, just conducted surveys. Sometimes it was fun but hard to go to school and work full-time. After my 1 semester of college I came home and started at The Margarita. I loved working there, whether in the kitchen or the dining room or up front. That's where I picked up a lot of my cooking ideas and recipes. The job after that was Hobby Lobby. I worked in the frame shop and learned a lot. Didn't really like my boss but I loved the artistic aspect of it and I still keep in touch with some of my coworkers. When I left there I worked at BMC lumber as a receptionist for a few months until they started laying people off. Then I had Alex and stayed home for a while until we moved to Maryland. I found a job that I could do at night, an answering service, so that Alex would never have to be left with a babsitter. I also did a 3-month internship with the Baltimore Opera and then went back to the answering service where I stayed working nights until Emma was born. That's where I met 2 very close friends, Denise and Vicki. I have had a few static singing jobs since then and some in-home daycare, which I hate, but mostly staying at home and taking care of house and kids and husband is more hours than I ever thought I would work, but at least it's a job I love! And no uniform!

No comments: