Friday, May 23, 2008

Holly's Jobs

I have had so many jobs in my life, this may take a while! I think Heidi and Mindy both forgot to mention that we all had the opportunity in middle school to serve lunch to our classmates in order to receive a free lunch ourselves. I don't have any idea how we got into that, but it was a pretty good deal. We got to leave class 5 minutes earlier than everyone else so that we could go get ready, and the way I remember it, all of our classmates were jealous and didn't make fun of us even though we had to wear funny paper hats. I also worked with Heidi one summer delivering flyers. I got a blister on my thumb from tearing the duct tape. I worked a little bit at the LDS bookstore before I was 16. Then when I turned 16 I went to K-Mart and applied for a job since David Abbott worked there (I always wanted to be around him). I started as a cashier, but worked in the deli, garden shop, sporting goods, jewelry, and the service desk. Unlike Heidi, I thought that was a really good job. We did work with some horrible people, but our employer was very good with working around our schedules, so I kept the job for more than 2 years. During my second semester of college I got very lucky and got a job as the "campus medic." I got paid to carry a radio and drive students with sprained ankles and broken noses to the hospital. After my first year of college I worked at K-Mart and at a lumber yard. My job at the lumber yard was to verify that the loads leaving the yard had all the right lumber. I also got to learn how to drive a fork lift! K-Mart started keeping me up at the service desk, and during my Christmas break it was a nightmare, so I asked for a raise. They refused, so I gave my notice and stuck with the lumber yard. I honestly don't remember when I started working at Dennys, but it was around that time. I worked the night shift as a waitress, serving mostly drunk cadets. That was interesting. I think I worked there for a year or two. My last year at Ricks I also had a very part-time job as a lab assistant for the intermediate EMT class. When I graduated, I did a 4 month internship with AMR in Colorado Springs, but couldn't get a job with them (though, admittedly, I didn't try very hard. The pay was terrible and the other paramedics were horrible people.) After a lot of searching, I found a job verifying insurance claims with the Principle Financial Group. I worked there until I went on a mission, and when I got home I got a job as a Unit Clerk in the NICU at Memorial Hospital. That was a great experience! I got to use my Spanish a lot, and that is what drove me to BYU to get a degree in Spanish Translation. While at BYU I was VERY fortunate to get a job as a Unit Clerk in Mother/Baby at the Utah Valley Hospital. I only worked one night a week, so it was perfect for a student, and the pay and benefits were quite good. I worked there for almost 5 years. On the side, I did some freelance interpreting for two companies, interpreting at the local hospitals for everything from car accidents to rape victims. That was also a really good experience. Now I have my favorite job of all, being a wife and mom. Other than having to watch "the Sound of Music" everyday (at least it's not Barney), it is the perfect job!

No comments: