Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Heidi's Jobs

I was like Mindy and found a job I could legally do before the age of 16 (I think we were all desperate to buy new clothes rather than the yard sale goods). I worked for two months the summer before I turned 16 delivering flyers door to door for family who painted house numbers on the curb. We went to deliver at 6:00 in the morning tearing duct tape for the next two hours to attach the flyers to anything that duct tape wouldn't ruin (which isn't much). My hands smelled like duct tape all summer. My next job was unfortunately at Kmart working in apparel. I HATED that job!! I vowed then never to work with customers again. The only good part of the job was sneaking into the shoe stock room to talk with Dave Abbott. If he was on shift, neither one of us got much work done. We had fun. I worked at Kmart until I graduated from high school, then went back to it after a semester at college. After a year of college, I stayed at Kmart part-time and added some hours in a floral shop to my day. Sister Laub fired me after only a few weeks saying she wanted someone with more experience. I finally quit Kmart and went to work for a house cleaning company. This was hard work, but if the people weren't home when we cleaned, I enjoyed it. The tips were pretty good. After college I worked at an industrial sewing factory making backpacks. This was my favorite job. I love the speed and power of an industrial machine and really enjoyed seeing my product at the local REI store. When Ashley was born I decided to work at home doing some sewing, so I posted business cards at the local fabric stores and was called that week by "Buckle" to do alterations. I told the guy I wanted to work from home, but he said I could bring Ashley with me, so I worked there for two years. Cutting into my first pair of $140 Tommy Hilfiger jeans was very scary. It was a pretty good job. Now I am a full-time mom and it is not always rewarding, but it's got it's moments of joy.

No comments: