Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mom's Jobs

I started babysitting when I was 12. We only got 25 cents an hour and had to clean the house, iron, bathe the kids, and all. It was way too much to do for a 12 year old. When I was 16 I started working at JB's big boy. Worked there until I was graduated from high school. Then I went to California to spend some time away from home. I worked downtown San Francisco at American Arbitration Assn for 6 weeks. Then at Firestone for the last 6 weeks. When we were married, I worked at Orem State bank for a year. And did a lot of sewing, and babysitting for people.and made Christmas ornaments for several years. We sold them at Pioneer Handicraft or what ever it is called.
I never had a new piece of material to sew on until I got married. I always I had several older girl cousins that I got things from. I didn't have new clothes till I married but it wasn't that important to me. They were always clean and pressed. There were a few snobby girls who looked down their noses at me, one of them was Cheryl Clark who is now Cheryl Lant the General Board Primary President. She was Cheryl then and is "Ch" eryl now. They owned Clarks for Him.
I'm so very thankful I didn't have to leave home to work after I had kids, although the money would have been nice and maybe the new clothes would have been worth it to some of the kids. I guess that was really a trauma for them. Sorry.

1 comment:

Holly Emerson said...

I wore polyester stretch-waist pants until I was a sophomore in high school and it never bothered me! Having you home was much more important to us than name-brand clothing.