Monday, May 19, 2008

Mindy's Jobs

The first jobs I had were baby sitting jobs, of course. I had several families who called me regularly. As a young teenager I worked for a cleaning service with David and Kathy and Angie Southard. That was cool because I wasn't 16 yet and I thought it was great to be getting a regular paycheck before I was old enough to work anywhere else. Then I worked at Sizzler. That was a long drive. The only Sizzler then was way down by the Citadel. I worked the salad bar. That was ok. Then I got a job at So-Fro Fabrics in the mall. I really liked that job. Everyone else who worked there was really short. The boss told me one day that she hired me because I was tall, so I could get things down from the top shelves. She was joking, kind of. The store was right across from Walgreens, so I could go across and get a little snack on my break. And the mall was close enough to home that I could walk to work, so that came in handy a few times. I didn't work at all the year I was at Ricks. After that I worked in the fabric department of Hobby Lobby. I didn't like that as much. For a short time before and after I got married I was the office manager for a tiny radio station in Rexburg. Then we moved to Pocatello and I worked a few months at the Jo-Ann fabric store before I got a job with an orthodontist as an assistant. That was very
interesting work. It was gross sometimes, but didn't bother me. I think I could be a hygienist some day if I ever go back to school. Anyway, that job lasted about a year and a half before I had Dylan and couldn't stand to work away from him any more. Then I started baby sitting at home. I hated that. Baby sitting before having your own kids is so different from baby sitting after you have kids. But it allowed me to stay home with my own, so I kept doing it for almost 2 years. Then I did nothing but be a mom and wife for several years. After Jason lost his job in 2001, right before 9-11, and couldn't find another job right away, I started sewing alterations and have been doing that ever since. I've learned a lot and it's a perfect job for me to have right now. I think I've been lucky that I never had to work at a fast food place.

No comments: