Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dad's Thmells.....

There are a couple of favorite smells from my younger days. I love the smell of new mown hay. The smell of a newly mown lawn comes close, but a freshly cut stand of hay is much more compelling.

I also love the smell of Russian Olive trees at the end of a still, hot day. We used to go play tennis in Albion when I was ten years old, and the courts were surrounded by large stands of Russian Olives. They smelled wonderful.

Of course, not much can compare with the smells associated with a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner being prepared by the loving hands of a dear sweet wife and mother. That is one of the best parts of the holiday season.
Grandpa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I love the thansgiving smell the most when Spencer is making the deviled eggs, Tara is making the shrimp cocktail and Mark is mashing the potatoes. That smell gives me the best feeling ever!

Teresa said...

I'm so glad you like cut hay too! That was one of my favorite Texas smells and everyone here thinks it's wierd :)

Amy said...

I can't believe you, who are so smell sensitive, like the smell of boiled eggs and shrimp together. That has to be the worst combination I can think of - bleckh!