Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lori's Games

I don't remember ever being fond of games other than Trivial Pursuit, but I do remember some of our less structured, made-up games. There was "Miss America" on the half-fence in Newark. Also, in Newark, we played "snow" (throwing the pebbles from the swing set area in the air in the biggest hands-full we could hold) and "bury the baby" (similarly played with the same pebbles and burying up to the neck whoever was "it"). Kristi, Jeny and I played "electric can opener" with the big hanging lamp Mom had made in Livermore (of course, when that one backfired, we "never even touched it"). Then in West Jordan there was gymnastics on the exposed gas pipe (which we were sure would burst and kill us all once Dad caught us doing it). Then there was the all time favorite in any house we had with a mirror "Interview with the famous Lori Lauritzen". Much to my embarrassment, I got caught doing that one many times. Windmill was a favorite until Amy fell and cut her head open. Probably one of our favorites (because it tormented him so much) was beauty shop on David in which Kristi, Jeny and I put as many barrettes and ribbons in his hair as we could then made him go outside so the neighbors would see him. Have fun laughing with those memories...I know I did!

8 comments:

Teresa said...

We did the same thing with JD!(except we had him convinced it was cool). Then dad caught him all prettied and threw a fit in spanish... that's when we knew we were in trouble, when we didn't know what he was saying.
Nickell- I love the new page.

Unknown said...

ah, the days in the basement with the gas pipe. good memories, eh? You forgot to mention the fun you had singing sad songs to yourself like "Songbird" and "Have you ever been Yellow".

Teresa said...

I want to hear more about the "electric can opener"

Lori said...

Ah, yes Jeny, the sad songs. But that wasn't a game or anything, just me being famous in my head! The "can opener" came about because we were fascinated by the idea of an electric can opener. Mom had made a very large hanging lamp made with glued on jagged 2" pieces of red glass and it had a point on the end. We pretended we were holding a can and spinning the lamp around and around until one day it came out of it's moorings, fell and split Jeny's and my heads (mine on top and Jeny's on the side). We won't go into the histrionics that followed...

Lloyd & Kristi said...

yes let's do! The ..... what kind of a sound should we call it that came from Lori...weeping, wailing,, gnashing of teeth? Well, the sound she made when mom was trying to clean her wound is the sound I always think about when they talk about wailing and gnashing of teeth. I was sure the neighbors for miles around could hear her cries.
Now, Lori on a more personal note, because I'm not sure we shared this part of our "game" with the rest of the kids: don't forget Barbara Streisand Songbird I think it was? Oh and how could any of us ever for get "It had to be you....I remember the day I took my girlfriend for a ride in my new convertible. I watched her beautiful hair fly through the wind. Then I had to stop and pick it up" The Bar D Wranglers

Teresa said...

Ha ha thats funny. Sorry that you got hurt guys, but your pain brings me just a bit of laughter because it is hard for me to picture my mom doing all the things that I used to get yelled at for...

Lori said...

Yes, well, I believe I'm still capable of making such a sound if necessary!
Now, as far as Songbird, I still know all the words (esp w/ the Streisand nuances). While we're on this subject, I don't think we've ever told Tricia why the Lauritzen clan thought her family song, "You Light Up My Life," is so terribly funny. Would it be because I sang that song so many times with more feeling than William Shatner says his lines??

Unknown said...

ah, great memories! funny how so many of my childhood memories involve Lori singing sad songs with such theatrics, or all of us singing the bar-d wranglers. Do you remember which wrangler was "yours"? Mine is Cy Scarborough! (I still prefer the funny guy.)