Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Heidi's Skills/Talents

Oh, the singing in our family! My favorite was whistling "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and seeing how many parts we could make. Music is easily the biggest hand-me-down talent in our family. You did well, Mom and Dad. I began learning to play the piano officially when I was eight, when Dad realized that teaching me himself was clearly not going to work. This is a skill that is coming in VERY handy right now. Residents are paid next to nothing for the amount of work they do, so to be able to fix my house, I'm supplementing our income nicely by teaching. I have seven students so far (I only started two weeks ago) and plan on filling four more time slots. I also teach my own kids. It's been a lot of fun.
All of my older sisters did some sort of needlecraft, so I picked up on that, too, but I have to add that I am the only Lauritzen girl who learned to tat. I find that it's now very difficult for me to sit very long without doing something with my hands whether it's quilting, crochet, or playing piano. I think all of the girls (and Matt, too!) are great with needlecrafts.
Canning is a lot of fun, but if you asked me whether it was 20 years ago when I had peach fuzz and sticky juice up to my elbows, I would have said no way. Things get more fun with age as you start appreciating the final product more and more. Even weeding a garden is fun now.
One last thing, as Jeny shows in her refinishing pictures, many of us are handy around the house because of Dad. I can't say that I am yet, but I'm learning. I think I could probably beat any of you in a mini-blind installing contest. I am great at that now. I can replace screens and tell you all about pool maintenance (which is no easy thing!), and I've even replaced a light fixture! (You're not aloud to comment on that one, Mindy and Dad). I know, this is all very amateur, but I'm determined to learn more. I want to be like Dad, only with neater caulk.
Hey, remember the willow whistles? That was fun!!

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I am also feeling very amateurish. I read everyone elses posts and feel like a rookie. I can't complain though, I've learned alot in the past 5 years!

Unknown said...

you need to move here so you can teach me to tat. I want to be able to do that, but won't learn unless I have someone push me.