Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Heidi's Grandparents

I don't have any memories of Grandma Breckenridge except her really sick years. She was always in bed hooked up to oxygen. I was only seven when she died and I remember feeling guilty about playing with Jenny Cragun at her funeral, but not guilty enough to stop. The only thing I remember about Grandpa Breck (when he still knew who I was) was his mustache tickling. I used to really love that. I do remember him being very funny. Then one time I went to visit him and he called me Linda. That made me very sad! I don't think he ever knew who I was again.
Grandpa Lauritzen is just as fuzzy in my memories as Grandma Breckenridge. We did irrigate the backyard once and floated candles on the water--and who of the Lauritzen crowd didn't play cards? I was in the second or third grade when he died. I woke up one morning and hated school so much that I was on my way to Mom's room to tell her I was sick and couldn't go to school. Then I noticed Amy packing a garment bag on Mom's bed and found out he had died. I ran in my bedroom with a smile on my face and told Holly "We're going to Utah!!" I really loved Utah and REALLY hated school. Grandpa was the last thing on my little 7 or 8 year-old mind.
Grandma Lauritzen is the one I have lots of memories of. Her house always smelled so good. The smell of bacon will always remind me of her. Jason and I brought Ashley a couple of times to have dinner with her when we lived in Provo. She saved special treats for our kids when we went Trick-or-Treating, too. I loved to sit and talk with her and see how similar her mannerisms were to Dad's. She was always saying how much she never watched t.v. and yet the t.v. always seemed to be on, tuned to Matlock. She would also tell me how much she disliked that Jay Leno, but she always watched him. I loved to spend time with my little Grandma who could always keep a conversation going. She was strict, but I liked that. She died when Jason and I were living in Ogden. It's funny that so many of you were there with her when she died, and I was only one hour away and didn't make it. I took time for granted that day.
I love my grandparents because they made my parents who they are, and they are pretty fantastic!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

when we lived in Provo, we would go trick or treating there, too! I forgot about that. She did make us feel special!