Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mom's Grandparents

Let see if I can remember that far back. I remember a lot about Grandma and Grandpa Black. They lived by us most of the time. Grandpa was always very quiet. Never talked unless it was absolutely necessary. I always loved them a lot. Grandma was so much fun. We played flinch and rook. She got me interested in Genealogy. Her parents owned a candy store for the colonies in Mexico so she made really good candy. I remember skating on scrubbing brushes to clean the floor once with Mike while she was gone once and we had to wash. It was kind of a lot of floor. She could do just about anything. They had milk cows so people would buy it from the house to ge bot raw milk. If you don't know what that is it's milk that hasn't been heated and pasturized so the milk and cream separate. I love that. It just tastes so good.
I remember how shocked she was when my best friend and I took her to South Pacific. She thought that was a downright dirty show. And was shocked that we liked it. We lived with them while my Dad was on a mission. Or at least in a very small 2 room trailer behind their house. Then Nyta's husband was killed and they came too for a couple of years. Grandma loved watermelon and corn. They always had bread(homeade whole wheat bread) and milk for supper with green onions and radishes. . You break it up in a bowl and pour milk on it. Not th onions and raddishes. you dip them in salt and eat them with it. She made the big meal at noon as most farmers dol
I hated it when they cut the chickens heads off and then we had to pluck them.
My Breckenridge grandparents I didn't know very well. I saw them probably 5 times They came down sometimes and I can only remember going up twice. When I was little they only had an out house. I couldn't use it. So Dad had to drive me into town to go at the gas station.
It was probably 25 miles or more.
She was always embroidering. the trouble was she didn't use good material and her stitches were quite large.
She came to visit up in Va. when we lived there. What a shock that was. My aunt called from Dulles Airport. It was in the night. We went out to get her and she stayed for quite a while until my aunt who was afraid she would give us some of her money insisted she come home. When we moved to Fremont we got a house with a bedroom and bath on the main floor and hoped she would come out to live with us. But I don't think I ever talked to her again. Aunt Ida wouldn't let her call or accept my calls. She was very gentle and loving.
I can't think of much more.

2 comments:

Lori said...

The only great-grandparent I remember is Grandpa Black. I remember him being very gentle and very quiet but he exuded a strength that is more amazing to me now as I get older. I'm sure he is now consorting with the greats - both spiritually and historically - and smiling quietly as he takes it all in!

Unknown said...

I do remember Aunt Ida from the visit I went on with Grandpa. That was a great trip, but I remember her as the crazy lady who kept telling Grandpa to get me out of grandma Margie's hospital room. I wonder if she was worried even then about money going to the "wrong person"? Hmmm.