Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lori Feels Closest To....

Okay, I guess I'll bite. Since I seem to be the most proficient at hurting people's feelings without meaning to, I begin this with the disclaimer that I love ALL my sibs -- ya'll are my crew!

Kristi - she and I were nearly inseparable (much to my chagrin many times) growing up. One thing I knew though, if anything needed fixing, talking about or hiding, she was there by my side. She defended me when the bullies in West Jordan wouldn't leave me alone, karate chopped my back when I needed to wake up for something, and let me know which boys secretly had crushes on me (this was highly important information). She was the fun, popular one who knew how to act around people not in our family - thus I never had to really learn that particular skill. I loved and needed her all through my growing up years! Now I need her for her quirky sense of humor!!

Jeny - was the special child. In Mom and Dad's eyes she could do no wrong so she became our "blame" dummy. She took it with grace and could turn on the tears so well that even when the blame stuck, she rarely got into trouble. She had a very strong sense of right and wrong and did not tolerate some of the antics Kris and I tried to get into. We were often "sold out" by this sibling simply because she couldn't tolerate even the slightest infraction. She was the "good girl" I always wanted to be but could never quite get there. I was not a happy camper when she got older and started being able to sing better than I did - but she did it none the less!

Amy - I hated her with a passion (and I think she, me). When Mom and Dad brought her home, they kept saying she was the most beautiful -- alas, I lost my position and I was not happy! She followed me everywhere always asking questions and looking at my "stuff". She burped and farted when people were around and was constantly chewing on some candy or another (usually close to my face) which I hated. My gosh! I've turned into my sister when she was little!!! Then she grew up [or maybe I did]. Amy came to live with us a couple of times and we grew very close as we each struggled with our adult lives and counseled together about the meaning of it all. I finally saw this sister as the lovely spirit she truly is but sometimes hides from others.

David - if you could have seen Dad the night he floated into the Davis' upstairs bedroom waking us up singing "it's a BOY"! All of us cuddled and coddled him until he became an annoying little nuisance. He took a lot from Dad being "molded" into a boy and I used to go into my room and cover my head with my pillow and cry and cry while he was undergoing that "molding". I wanted to stop it and didn't know how. I felt so proud of him the day we took him through the temple before his mission. David was just 'this kid' until he came back from his mission. I was gone from home, but all of a sudden I was hearing about this Spanish speaking, guitar playing ladies man at Rick's and I couldn't believe it was my brother! He has turned into quite the accomplished professional and family man!!

Mindy - she was "my baby". I was still the age where I wasn't "burdened" with the babies in the home. I wanted to do everything for her. I changed diapers (for those of you that haven't done the cloth diaper thing, this is no mean task!!!), held and rocked her, sang to her, took her out for walks in the stroller, etc. Even as a small girl she was quiet and we all felt she was fragile so we protected her as much as we could. She was my model when I went through my photography phase and when she got older she would sit on the toilet and watch me curl my hair and put make-up on. That usually ended with me curling her hair and putting make-up on her. She loved it...Dad did not! Well, all grown up now she doesn't need hair curling or make-up as she's grown into such a beautiful natural woman who is anything but fragile. She has proven over and over that she is strong, talented, untiring and fully capable of protecting herself! (Something, I'm sure, Jason is quite grateful for as I believe more than one of us threatened him when he married her!)

Heidi - was the clingy twin. She was never more than a foot away from me when I was home. This is where We-lo originated, because Heidi would call me from her crib over and over until I came to get her out (truthfully, Holly was already half-way out already or had climbed into Heidi's crib). Say "Lo-wee" over and over again. It eventually comes out We-lo. Heidi would sit still for hours while I curled her hair and took pictures. I was not yet at the point of resenting my younger siblings and all the responsibility it meant having them around, but I was getting there and the girls made it easier because they were so likable. Holly would do something crazy then Heidi would sit quietly and bat her eyes and get them out of all sorts of trouble. When the girls came to stay with us, Heidi was always helping out in the kitchen. My lack of a testimony frustrated her beyond speech and I could tell it hurt her deeply that I couldn't believe anymore the way she does. I'm sorry for that. She has turned into exactly what she always wanted to be: a very talented, thrifty homemaker, an involved mother, and the beautiful wife of a professional man.

Holly - was a lot like Kristi. Taking risks and enjoying the adrenaline rush of it. She was the twin who loved her twin-ness but celebrated her individuality. She came up with some wild schemes and I'm sure got Heidi into more trouble than she deserved (yeah?). Once We-lo was born, Holly made it a common annoyance and laughed when it made me mad. She used to think it was hilarious to wait until I was almost finished with her hair and then flip her head which would make the braid come undone. Then she'd just giggle as I yelled at her. I've loved engaging in medical lingo with her after her unbelievable foray into Emergency Medical services. And then being able to speak Spanish with her after her mission. We got to go visit her once while she was on her mission too. Now she's found Matt and life has made a 180! She's the happy homemaker and mother of almost two!

Matthew - I was SO angry when Matt was born. I couldn't believe I was going to have yet ANOTHER sibling to take care of. To top it off, he was funny looking - my how that's changed! He was another tag-along who seemed to go everywhere I went. There's nothing like your 2-year-old brother showing up buck naked to your 16th birthday party (my first "date"). Or your 4-year-old brother yelling at the top of his lungs, "Why are you kissing my sister?" Matt has always been tender-hearted and has the uncanny ability to see situations from several vantage points. His long armed hug has a way of calming the savage beast in me and I love him so much for that!

There...hopefully, I've made you laugh and made you cry and made you remember something you didn't remember or didn't even know about, also hopefully nobody's feelings get hurt as is my usual penchant. I love you all (each in your own way) and I'm so glad to be the first of so many incredible Lauritzen kids.

Lori

4 comments:

Teresa said...

How you guys felt about Jeny, JD and I felt about April. She was so sensitive and if she got into too much trouble she would cry and we figured it made you feel bad... ha ha ha our wonderful logic

Parkinson Family said...

Wow, Lori. I have to admit I don't remember much about you when you lived at home. It's neat to read about how I was then and what you remember. Who was it that cut my hair? Wasn't that you?

Unknown said...

I'm still super good at getting my way. Except this year. Nobody is coming for Thanksgiving and I'm so sad! I wish I could start my fake crying online so you all would feel bad for me and come here. Next year will be fun, though, and I will probably need you all since Spencer will be in some crazy foreign place and not with me eating my turkey and brussel sprouts.

Unknown said...

I love the christmas colors!! I have christmas music playing in the background and I have a few gifts being delivered here to the office. Thanks for the extra Christmas boost!!