Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mindy's Granparents

I remember Grandma Breckenridge always wore long colorful mumus (sp?). She was so gentle. I loved to have her brush my hair. I was 8 or 9 when she died. I think 9 because it was right before Tere was born. I liked watching Grandpa Lauritzen with the piano bench in front of him, playing Solitaire. He had a card shuffler that I'd sometimes crank in between games. He died when I was 10. Grandpa Breckenridge always played with the kids. He'd tickle us, give us a kiss right between the eyes or a whisker kiss. Whenever we heard meadow larks singing he'd imitate it, saying "Mindy's a pretty little girl." I was pregnant with Jonah when he died, I think, so I would have been 28. Is that right? 2003? Grandma Lauritzen always had food when we got to her house. Either fried chicken or roast. She was the short Grandma. It was an event when we got taller than Grandma. That happened for me when I was 10, I think. She died just, what, 2 or 3 years ago? My memory is getting worse as I get older! That was a wonderful experience to have all of us Lauritzen kids together at her funeral.

No comments: