Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lori's Grandparents

Being the eldest, I remember all my grandparents well (though maybe not correctly). Grandma Breck was usually laying down on the couch in her mumu with her legs up. I remember washing walls at their Provo home, making carrot juice (ick!) and being bribed to stay at their house with big Vitamin C tablets - to grandma they were as good as candy! She died the month before Tere was born so I wasn't able to go to her funeral. Grandpa Lauritzen was very stern but told great stories and was a lot of fun when he got his sax out to play. I remember him, like Mindy does, sitting in front of the t.v. playing solitaire, or just getting back from playing handball, or sitting in his place at the head of the table eating a plateful of corn on the cob! Some of the best memories are of irrigating the back yard in our swim suits. He died while Tere and I were living in Spain so I was unable to go to his funeral either. Grandpa Breck was the most fun of all (which is probably part of what made him so annoying to most adults)! He took us camping, fishing and taught Kristi and me to shoot a gun. He told silly stories, and bounced us on his leg until we fell off. And no one will ever forget his stories about his mission in Hawaii. Even into his Alzheimer's, when a clear moment came, he remembered I wasn't his Linda and whispered, "I hab a swee-cwet". I guess I used to tell him that when I was very little and it stuck. I don't recall what was going on at the time of his death but I missed his funeral as well. Going to Grandma Lauritzen's was always a treat because we got to raid the candy bowl and we'd wake up to the smell of bacon. At her house we could have as much bacon as we wanted -- I'm sure she went through several pounds of the stuff when we visited. She always had on red lipstick and dangly earrings and smelled like soap and perfume. She had a straight to the point, honest streak to her which sometimes stung but was usually the truth (the truth does always hurt more, doesn't it?) and you never had to guess where she stood on an issue. I loved being able to go to her funeral - I still can't believe Amy was able to get through that song - and see everyone and say to her "See ya soon!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This just made me remember Grandpa L in his plays under the Springville Library - he was funny! And remember Prell in a tube? I loved that shampoo!