Saturday, November 22, 2008

Just an Introduction

Hello Lauritzen family. I feel the need to introduce myself since none of you seems to know who I am. My name is Heidi--not twin. All throughout elementary, middle and high school I was thought of by friends and teachers as half of a whole, never as a complete person. It never occurred to me that this was true of my own family!! So you get to sit there and read about ME now and learn who that mysterious sister of yours is.
As a child, I remember feeling very lonely. Many journal entries are written about how I spent the day with my best friend, the only one who understood me, B.J. It is sad that I had eight brothers and sisters and yet had to resort to playing with a dog to feel as though I had a friend, but it's true. No wonder I am still a HUGE dog lover. Did anyone know that? I don't think there was a day when I enjoyed having my hair long. It was a huge relief to get it cut. I enjoyed singing and playing the piano (still do). I was never as good as most of you, but now I can say with confidence that through perseverance I am now better than all of you with the exception of Kristi. In fact, I am the substitute ward organist and played just last Sunday. Did you know that? I love to cook. I'm not creative like Kristi or Amy, but I can still outdo Amy in a pie baking contest and I know a good recipe just by looking at it. I enjoy the outdoors very much and wish like crazy that it was easier to take a two year-old on a hike. Bet you didn't know that. I also have an obsession with reading. It's a good thing we have public libraries or my family would be broke from buying too many books. I have also dabbled in writing a little and am currently part of the writing group in my ward. We have a blog and are given a prompt every month to write on, much like our family question of the week. I have served in the primary pretty much ever since turning 18, but I am now serving in YW, and I couldn't feel more out of place if I were called to serve in the priesthood. I substitute taught gospel doctrine a few weeks ago and didn't die. Actually, I enjoyed that. I'm a thrill seeker. I love, love, love roller coasters and have even been parasailing. I love Italian food, going for walks, singing with my kids, watching movies with my husband, playing Settlers of Catan, DOGS!!!, cleaning my house, fixing up my house, and Christmas. I feel a constant urge, like Kristi, to learn. I would love to go back to school to study interior design, landscape design, architecture, astronomy, etc. So many things to soak up and not nearly enough time. It makes me proud (I know, the universal sin) when my husband answers a page and says "Hello, this is Doctor Parkinson". It has been a long, very difficult road to get to where we are now and I need to be proud of him.
So now you know a little more about me. Should you have any questions, please ask. I would very much like my own family to know me as an individual. Not to insult Holly by any means, but I am not she, nor is she me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

it sounds like you kinda misunderstood all of us. We weren't saying we THINK of you and Holly as the same, rather we THOUGHT of you that way. Really that has nothing to do with you or Holly, but with ourselves. Can you remember being a teenager and being a bit on the self centered side? Lori, Kristi, Amy and I each had our own stage that all the rest of you entered and exited and sometimes you were pests when you were on our stage. I will say for myself that my siblings from Dave to Matt were all one conglomeration of pestiness - not because of who you were but because I was selfish teen. I love this blog, and any time we can spend together, because I get to know each of you as individuals.

Oh, and I'm super glad you didn't die when you taught Gospel Doctrine!

Lori said...

I've been afraid this would start to happen with this blog. Between the nine of us we seem to have more problems with miscommunication and hurt feelings than the average bear-clan. I guess I'm old enough now that I've started to figure it out. Just because nothing nice is ever said about me in these writings, doesn't mean there's nothing nice to be said. That's just the way the Lauritzen kids have learned to relate to one another. The same goes for you Heidi. If nothing is ever said about you individually, it's not because there's nothing to say - it just hasn't been said. You are a fantastic individual with a wonderful family, and if none of us have yet said so, we are enormously proud of what Jason, and you, have done to get through osteopathic school. It is something to be proud of, and so you should be!!

Parkinson Family said...

Thanks, you guys!! I never meant for this to come off so strong or sound very serious. I love all of my sisters and brothers and understand why none of you older ones knows us younger ones. I was just trying to help everyone know a little more about me as an individual. No feelings hurt! And Jeny, I was probably THE most self-centered teen in our family. Maybe I still am.

Unknown said...

ok, Heidi, you can have that title, but it was all my fault!!!!

Teresa said...

I think everyone should write a little blog like this so everyone (by everyone I mean me) can get to know the little and big stuff going on that we would never think to mention otherwise. I really liked reading about Aunt Heidi because all the little details really add to the person I'm getting to know on the blog, and I know that if I told her to meet me at a theme park or a state park, we would have a blast! I'd like to know the little things about everyone... then when I'm trying to explain you guys to my mother in law (who likes to hear about my gynormous family) I can know more about who you are. Just a thought...

Lori said...

Jeny, I don't think we've ever told you why everything was always your fault. Kristi and I decided that when you got in trouble you got the least punishment (in Mom and Dad's eyes you could do no wrong when you were little), so when something went wrong we figured you could handle your minimal punishment better than we could what might be ours -- so we just started blaming everything on you (especially after the feeding zucchini to Puffy incident). For some reason, it stuck with all the other kids too! Sorry!

Holly Emerson said...

I didn't know that, Lori! That's hilarious! I still say that things are Jeny's fault.

Unknown said...

I have to say, I don't mind at all having everything be my fault. This way I know I'm in everyone's thought always. And just so you know, I'm still practically perfect in every way. :) (that's a joke, laugh now)